10 Reasons to Adopt a Senior Dog
We care for so many wonderful senior dogs and wanted to share with you some reasons we recommend adopting one. Many older dogs were given up to a rescue organization or a shelter, and are in need of a good home. They make very loving and loyal companions. We love this top 10 list compiled by the Senior Dog Project:
1. Older dogs are house trained. You won’t have to go through the various stages of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping up after accidents.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies and while growing up won’t chew your shoes and furniture.
3. Older dogs can focus well because they are mellow. Therefore, they learn quickly.
4. Older dogs who are well behaved have learned what “NO” means.
5. Older dogs settle in easily because they have learned what it takes to get along with others and to be part of a pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love once they get into their new, loving home. They’re grateful for the second chance they’ve been given.
7. What you see is what you get. Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and their personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself because they don’t make the kinds of demands for your time and attention that young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they’re accustomed to human schedules and don’t generally require night-time feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.